Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pinewood Derby!

Today we are preparing for the most exciting Pinewood Derby!  Yesterday barbwired boy and hubs put the final test to the derby car.  They have declared it a winner, naturally.  Wish us luck as we go compete today.  We love the whole process of pinewood derby, from the selection of a style to creation to the race.  Last year the barbwired boy won 2nd place.  He is predicting a first place win this year.  Good Luck Brayden!!


Barbwired's beavy of beauties also know as followers..... Today is the last day to pick the prize you want.  In case you missed the post, look here.   Just want you darlings to know I love having ya here with me!


Now let's get some spring and Easter in this barbwired nest!  How about this?




I wanted something light and soft. 

I began the process by making the paper flowers. 

You probably all know the steps but here is a quick tutorial. 


I made these in all sizes. 
I used everything from salad plates to pill bottles to draw my circles. 
They are super duper easy. 
 I had paper that had a pattern on one side and a coordinating solid on the other.  
I used both pattern and solid for the centers. 
Once you feel you have enough of these, it is time to move on to the ruffles.

I ♥ ruffles! 

I took a soft white fabric and tore three inch strips. 
I wanted to tear them to get a frayed edge. 
Then I used my machine to create the ruffles. 


I made eight ruffles. 
The went from 3 inches wide and 3 ft long
to about 2 inches wide and 1 foot long. 


I had a styrofoam wreath. 
 I used the ruffles and a hot glue gun,
wrapped the ruffles all around the wreath and hot glued them on.


After covering the wreath with ruffles, I began hot gluing the flowers on. 
I nestled them in the ruffles.  I went from large size flowers to smaller. 


I then applied a polka dot ribbon with the hot glue to hang the wreath.


I decided to hang it on a large mirror in our living room.


Ruffles, flowers, polka dots...what could be better!!

It makes me smile!!!


I hope you like it too!


Now off to the derby! 


Barbwired Blessings to you!!!





Got a party going on at:



http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/






http://www.simplysweethome.com/


http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/


http://www.flamingotoes.com/




http://www.skiptomylou.org/











42 comments:

  1. Good luck at the derby! I'm totally in love with your wreath, it is beautiful. It made me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh i love this! this one is my most favorite! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wreath, it's gorgeous and perfect for this time of year.

    Good luck with the derby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this at Tatertots and Jello - love it! The time and energy and work you put into it, it is simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! It's gorgeous.
    Caught you on T&J. Hope to see you at the next linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and bright wreath--sure to cheer everyone who sees it! ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous wreath. I just had to click on your link on TT&J... it's so colorful! Love that it's wrapped in ruffles. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS. My fav spring wreath I've seen so far- thanks for the tutorial! I so hope I can make one of these this season! My first visit to your blog- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so my next project! Great job, and wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful wreath!! Good luck at the derby!

    ps - I'myour newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful wreath. It is so nice and full with bright flowers. Perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love the ruffle! thanks for sharing.
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful wreath! I had to pin it to my board on Pinterest. Good luck with the Pinewood Derby! I remember how fun it was for my son a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most beautiful wreath I have seen in a long time. I am so glad you shared to how-tos, because I would love to make one for my home. I bet that would be striking in black and white, too. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creativity. I am becoming a new follower! I found you on Flamingo Toes. Stop by my blog sometime for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm your newest follower :D Hope you can check out my blog sometime, www.opalstevens.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is beautiful! I love it!!!

    Visiting from One Pretty Thing. Love to have you stop by my blog!

    http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh. This is gorgeous!!!! I love it and hope you stop by my blog to link up on Wow Me Wednesdays!!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your wreath is SO pretty!! You are SO talented!! Thanks for sharing it & for taking the time to post a tutorial :) (found you through Skip to My Lou) -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh i just love love it! gonna definately give this one a try- now, if i can just get my boys to help make flowers - i'll be in good shape!
    commin at ya from the tip junkie- i'm the post after you * and your new google friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This wreath is beautiful-love the ruffles with the flowers! I'm your newest follower-stop over for a visit! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ADORE this!! Wow Me Wednesday is up now and I'd love for you to link up!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/03/wow-me-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such an adorable wreath! So cheerful! Thanks for the step by step

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also, I wanted to let you know I featured your wreath on my blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok so everyone is making wreaths these days, me included, but this wreath is by far my FAVORITE!!!! I screams spring and I love it, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so adorable! I love it! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week! I'm featuring you for this week! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous wreath!!! This looks so beautiful and making the long ruffle helps cut down on some of the time it takes to make! Ingenious.

    Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! I wanted to let you know that your have been featured on the Glitter Blog Spotlight! Please come by and grab a button!
    xoxox

    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/running-with-glitter-friday-spotlight.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!! That is GORGEOUS!! I love your paper flowers!!! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loooove this idea! I'm in love with the ruffles and I like that they make the wreath look fuller and not so skinny! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am in love with this. I saw this at Think Pink Sundays by Flamingo Toes. I would like to feature this on my blog. Will send the link soon.

    My blog is having it's first linky party this weekend. I would love to have this post added: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2011/03/funky-fresh-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. This wreath is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I featured you on my Toast of Tuesday! Come grab a button!!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/04/so-its-tuesday-night-and-im-still-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. This article was vey helpful to me. It helped me to be informed and more aware. The details were such a blessing, thanks.

    aromatherapy

    ReplyDelete
  34. This really is the cutest thing I have seen-- I just need to touch it or pet it or something!! We are your newest followers!!http://holidaysnobs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, this is the most beautiful spring wreath I've seen. And it seems fairly easy to make. Thanks for sharing,...I will definitely be trying my hand at this wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Could not love this wreath any more than I do! Off to make my own right now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've put together a round up of pretty spring wreath projects on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-pretty-springtime-wreaths/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOVING the wreath. Shared your link on my FB fan page :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. linked this up at my facebook page!!!! love the colors

    www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. SO in love with this wreath! I decorate my office for each season, and this might just need to stay home instead of go there! But then I would see it more there, hanging by my desk. MUST MAKE! And - I love your verse at the top of your page !!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear what you have to say. Please leave me a comment. Thank you so very much! HUGS!!